Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What I've Been Up To

Now that last semester finished, the holidays passed, and school started up again I have time to share some of my newest wire creations. The order goes from oldest to newest.

                                                 
The five stones at the bottom are turquoise 



My model, Adele.



A collection of pieces on display in the copper box my grandfather made me





These last two show my progression in making this not-yet-complete necklace. The "beads" are actually used to connect parts on a lamp and came from my grandfather's garage. He used them when he made lanterns at his company, Sturdy Lantern. He also made the four wider leaves out of brass. The middle leaf comes from a barrette my mother wore as a teen. The green "beads" you see are actually the same beads that make up the majority of the necklace, they're just tarnished green. I have still to make the part that goes around the neck, which is on hold until my grandfather can find more of those brass beads around his garage. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia - it is great to see another creator getting into using recycled and found materials in such intricate way. Is your wire also recycled - like from leftover electrical cables? I am amazed at the amount of detail you get into your pieces - the later work on Adele is a great design - and the crossover connections must have taken a lot of time. Go well and continue to create well. Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barry, thank you so much for these kind words! I have actually looked at your work to inspire me at times. Your wire leaf with barbed wire in the "outdoor pieces" section of your website was fabulous and I used a similar design for leaves in another piece I have not yet posted. I do enjoy reusing found objects in my pieces because of the character they tend to bring with them. My copper wire however is not recycled--I buy it at a local hardware store down the road. I have been looking to expand my wire selection though, which turning to cable wire may be where I turn next, thank you!

    ReplyDelete