Friday, October 14, 2011

Family Encouragement

My grampa is one of the last highly skilled metal workers left in America. He owned a company called Sturdy Lantern. He designed and made all the lanterns the company sold. Many lights on the streets of Boston are his creation, commissioned by the city to make them. He can make anything out of metal. Since retiring after working several years at Gillette making razors he has built a copper violin, repaired metal things for my family, and most recently a copper box for me.

Within the last year I have found a passion for jewelry making. Using copper and brass wire I build pendants, rings, and bracelets. This is the first art form that I have maintained an interest in. I've tried drawing, painting, other forms of sculpture (I say other because my jewelry takes on a sculptural form), and even book making. None of these have interested me long enough for me to want to master them. My sudden discovery of my passion to make jewelry has given my art drive rejuvenation. 

My grampa saw this. And so for two months he worked on making me a box to display my jewelry in. From one sheet of copper and some brass, he made me the most beautiful box I have ever seen. When he presented me with it, I was overwhelmed. This was the biggest gesture any one has shown in support of my jewelry making, believing in my skills enough to build me a box to present them in. It meant so much that I had his encouragement. 

I love my box and I love my grampa. Last night I made him a card to thank him for the strength he gave me in making my creations.









3 comments:

  1. That box is absolutely beautiful! What an amazing gift. I also love the jewelry you've made. With the backstory of your grandfather, it takes on new meaning. Can't wait to see more of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful!! That is so awesome that you have that deep connection with your grandfather. I can't wait to see more of your jewelry posted here - I've noticed some of the pieces you wear and they are all really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a nice boooooox u wont see that in any store; quality handsmanship, past down through the generations genetically hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete